Gee, I really couldn't say. I've never been able to become knowledgeable regarding network issues; they've either worked (XP Pro, pretty good/somewhat; Vista seems to work) or not (XP Home), nothing I've ever tweaked/done has made much difference.

When the Denon is set to DHCP it fails to pick up an IP address, so I went into the Denon manual network setup and entered the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS values I found in the router's "Broadband Link - Details" window. What I'm calling the router is actually a combined ethernet/wireless router/dsl modem that att calls a wireless gateway (perhaps that's the modern term?), namely the 2Wire 2701-HG, and I disconnected the network except for a direct ethernet connection between the 3808-->2701-HG-->dsl line, I'm able to test via notebook computer that the internet connection remains intact.

Although in the past I have wasted countless hours on network issues with zero progress I remain bound and determined to make this work this time because I want the feature upgrade especially the internet music connection.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."