Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Is the router's DHCP function enabled? Is that notebook set to acquire its IP/DNS/etc info automatically? If yes, and the Denon isn't able to get an IP address when it's set to it DHCP mode, then that's not a good sign. You may have some sort of compatibility issue.

Yes, yes, and yes, and no, it's not a good sign and I also suspect a compatability issue.

I hate those combo DSL/router things.

Me too, except when they work, before we had Charter with much higher bandwidth but with separate modem/router the handshake between components would break down several times a day and we would have to reboot both computers as well as modem and router to be back in business, and then the connection started going down for 6-7 hours at a time, the combo setup has been a dream in that once set up it has never gone down (the router never loses the modem just as an arm never loses its elbow) even though there has been considerable bandwidth sacrifice (1.5 Mbps vs. 4-5 Mbps, e.g., no HD video over broadband, not that we ever had such a thing but I suppose that's on the way); however, my guess also is it that somehow the combo dsl/router is the root cause of the problem of the 3808's inability to access the net.

You may have to go buy a 'real' router manufactured by a more mainstream company, like a D-Link or Linksys. Then you'd use the combo doodad as a Modem only, and use the new router to actually handle the routing/AP duties.

More than willing to consider that, thanks for the hint, however, I cringe at the thought of the Windows computers having to find the router or the router having to find the modem; before with Cable I had a Motorola Surfboard SB2100 with Netgear router (if memory serves) both of which were highly rated (and worked better than Linksys in my experience as well as other consumers) and definitely fast but was unable to maintain the network connections consistently (i.e., had to reboot a few times a day, pretty unacceptable amounts of downtime)

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."