OK thanks guys, I tried the next round of tests, with these results: I can't ping any of the devices on the network, requests always time out unless you ping the router itself or the address of the device you are already on, not sure what this means as all of the devices access the net freely except the Denon. Does this have to do somehow with firewall(s)?

Ran "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt and copied the Subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS Servers values all of the other computers are using into the Denon along with the IP address assigned by the router to the Denon, which appears as an active device in the router's view of the home network.

The 3808 continues to insist, "Network problem."

Three followup questions: 1) Should I put the same values in the fields of the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS? The ipconfig info just lists "DNS Servers" and gives a single value, not Primary and Secondary. 2) Proxy on the Denon should be set to "Off," no? Doesn't a proxy apply when you have to sign into your internet account like aol rather than having a direct always on connection such as I have? 3) Is there any chance that putting some device (WAP that the 3808 could plug directly into, not sure if that makes a bit of sense, I'm reaching) between the Denon and the att modem/router would improve the situation, i.e., something the 3808 would prefer to shake hands with better since it continues to give the cold shoulder to the modem/router?

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."