Originally Posted By: Joe_in_Ct
I'll chime in on your last comment, although Peter is clearly the expert on this subject. In general, any DSL modem will work in most situations. All it does is bring the internet connection to the computer. I agree with Peter that a decent stand-alone router will make your life a lot easier, and may very well solve your connectivity problem. Routers are pretty inexpensive (try NewEgg or Tiger Direct), and they specialize in connecting your various devices to the modem. As a bonus, they offer an extra layer of firewall protection by making your network invisible to the internet. Even so, you should also have a software firewall on your individual computers.

Interesting, do you think I could implement a standalone router to negotiate the handshake between the 3808 and the ATT modem/router, i.e., 3808-->standalone router-->ATT modem/router (come to think of it, I bet the Netgear router is still somewhere in a drawer in the garage, could be time for a test). Problem is that ATT is partial to their own gear and the 2Wire is just SO reliable with regard to Windows computer connectivity to the internet, I hate to think about going back to the individual components route (how ironic, eh? ;\) ) and would prefer to keep the 3808 on its own separate loop if feasible.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."