Originally Posted By: JohnK

"Clean" sound that's too loud is just as damaging to your hearing and can sneak up on you because of the lack of distortion.... Typical average volume of 70-75dB with split second peaks of up to 20dB more on the most dynamic classical recordings is fine. When listening "loud" on occasion that average can be raised to 80-85dB and the peaks are still easily handled by typical amplification.

To add to your point John, I find, for me, classical music is the most dangerous of music types for me to turn up to high, only to be blasted somewhere in the middle.

So many classical pieces start off very softly and if this is the first music I'm playing when turning everything on, I'm tempted to adjust the volume up only to have it eventually get much much louder. It's not as bad if I have been playing other things as I already have the volume set at a comfortable level and am less tempted to touch it.

This is also partly due to me being still mostly unfamiliar with my classical recordings to predict the swings in peaks and lulls. Actually, you are partially to blame for that because I have bought way more classical lately than I could ever become super familiar with. But that's a good thing.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.