Originally Posted By: michael_d
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
8000 HP?! I had no idea they were that crazy.

I thought it might be fun to watch on TV, but drag racing is intensely boring if you're not there.

They used to hover right about 6000HP and were limited to 500 CID when I was in the game a decade or so ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve been able to squeeze out another 25%. I never did build anything that would burn nitro, but did build a few pro-mods in the 700 CID / 2000HP range that ran on alcohol. Drive a sub 10 second car down the track once and you’ll forever be hooked on drag racing. Nothing quite like it and you’ll never appreciate just how much skill / talent it takes to keep that dam thing straight until you do. My first attempt was on a country road out in the middle of Texas. I immediately launched the car off the road, through a fence, over an arigation ditch and about half way through a field of ready to harvest alfalfa. Wasn’t any graceful way of sneaking away from that one……

The Pro Stock guys seemed to be a bit more "driving" the car. The top fuel guys - it seemed like "hit the switch and hang on". The 1/4 mile times were in the 3.98 second range.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill