Well you would know better than I. The information I got on DAT came from the television program 'Beyond 2000', which was a show that touted future technologies and fads. In the program I watched they said that you would be able to play your standard cassettes in the new DAT players (much like you can play regular DVD's on BD players). So perhaps they had orignally planned on developing DAT players that would be able to still play regular cassette tapes? I really don't know where they would have gotten that information if that's not the case?

Some other things they said about it was that the players would have LCD screens that would display the lyrics to whatever song you were listening to. And that the audio would be superior to DVD's... were they right about either of those?

I watched that show long before the internet (& even more importantly b4 'Google') was at my disposal, so I wasn't really able to do my own research on it. So I was going on their word alone. So far they are 0 for 2 (being able to play regular cassettes, & replacing DVD's), did they get anythng at all right about it? Lol

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD