Originally Posted By: grunt
Quote:

If I set the 1019 to Prologic IIx will it still play the TrueHD or DTS HD MA tracks properly?

Yes it will. For HD movie tracks I use either PLIIz or PLIIx +DSX (wide) but mostly the “wide” now. You still get the HD tracks but also get the “missing” channels, rear, height or wide depending on the settings.

Quote:

"I like my surround speakers directly to the side of my head (that's were my ears are), but found that with 5.1 content which pans from side to side in the surround channel, it seems to go over-head rather than around behind me. Though another way to fix it, is to place the surrounds slightly behind the listening position." < This is my current setup.

If using 5.1 I find that putting the surround speakers slightly behind the seating allows them to create a “phantom” rear effect so sounds panning across the rear don’t sound like they are going over your head. I have, in my last room 14x16 put the 5.1 surround speakers as far back as 135 degrees which was the back corners of the room. In the past Dolby even use to recommend putting them that far back however now the recommendation is about 90-110 degrees back. Playing around with there placement especially if there are nearby walls can generally achieve better results than just going with the stock recommendations since every room is a little different.

Quote:

Grunt (Dean): I just noticed your sig. Very nice setup. Three m80s? Is one of them your center? I'm a little jealous of your Panny 4000. The only thing that scares me is the non-sealed light-path in the Panasonics. I still LOVE my Benq W5000. It's such a great projector, total reliability, amazing lumens, DLP "Film like display". My friend has the Epson 6500ub and I swear I prefer the W5000. I heard your 4000 is very comparable to the new Epson 8500ub so I'm sure you have deeper blacks. I think I'll wait for the LED bulb PJs with the 40000 hour bulb life before upgrading. Also excellent choice on the BDP83... if I didn't have a PS3 I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Here are some pictures of my living room theater, not many basements here in Phoenix:

Now, sort of

Before

Another veiw with most curtains open

The screen is blurry because of the camera operator. I still have work to do like getting a real carpet for the front but the temp one I through down makes the whole front of the room black from my seating so I’ve gotten lazy about replacing it with something that covers the whole floor.

I presently have 3xM80s (L/C/R), 2xM2s (Wide), 6xQS8 (Surround, Rear and Height) 1xEP500 and 1xButtkicker. I use to use 2xM22s as (Wide) but replaced them with the M2s so I could use the M22s elsewhere.

I am pushing the limit on screen size with the Panny 4000. The Benq was in the running because I do like the DLP picture so were the Epsons but the 4000 won out because I think it has the best shadow detail of the bunch (I do lots of gaming and fights never seem to happen in well lit shopping malls). Plus the Epson weren’t actually out when I wanted to buy so they lost out. I will not talk about dust blobs or red rings of death for fear that what I say will jinx me. wink

I am quite pleased with my setup and have no plans to upgrade anything soon. I to don’t wish to get another projector until some significant improvement comes out.

Quote:

if I didn't have a PS3 I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Haven’t heard “in a heartbeat” since I left the Corps. smile

Cheers,
Dean

I'm going to try PLIIz tonight to see how I like it. Right now I'm using Stream direct with excellent sound quality. When I enable virtual surround through my computer the sound quality is brutal. I'm sure the AVR can do a better job with PLIIz.

The "in a heartbeat" is also a fairly common expression for first aiders. I'm a volunteer Ski Patroller and we take our first aid very seriously because we use it so much.

Your theater is beautiful. Love the 9.2 setup! The screen looks like it's mounted pretty high up, is your couch on a riser? I'm actually thinking about putting my couch on a riser for multiple rowed seating (instead of offset). How do you like using an M80 as a center channel?

What is a "Buttkicker"?

In Canada the Epson and Panasonic are the same price so I would probably buy the Epson strictly based on the epic warranty service they provide. They are both excellent projectors. The new Benq W6000 doesn't seem to have kept pace with the advancements of the Epson/Pannys. The Benq W6000 is a great projector and if you want the DLP look it's still the best option in this price range.

I won't upgrade my PJ until the LED bulbs are the norm in the 2k to 3k price range.