Thanks all! smile

Keep 'em coming (I was hoping ClubNeon and grunt would chime in) since I have a lot of catching up to do.

So basically it comes down to software and network set up as far as the "brains" behind a music server go?

I will definitely check out the recs.

One thing I already have is plenty of 24bit DACS (usb and firewire) to use for the i/o into my system.

I'll also buy a dedicated drive just to rip my (way too) extensive cd collection since that will put a huge load on the drive itself.

Any good how-to articles that you guys would recommend that have all the steps for setting up a server that's for music only?

Like I said, I really don't care much for the iTunes software but I would rather stay in OSX if possible (but am willing to give Windows7 a chance if it behaves) so I might use a Mac Mini for the server duty, but I'm not locked into using only Mac (but for professional use, it's Mac only grin).

I just want a reliable and robust machine that will give me headache free operation and allow me to play music in the highest fidelity... smile

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa