Originally Posted By: kcarlile

As for iTunes, by definition, there IS no space between tracks on a CD.

But albums (that dying art form) do have very specific pacing between tracks. When you master a project the space between is crucial for the feel and flow of a recording. Sometime it's just two seconds other times more... but it's very important to the rhythm and pacing of the tracks.

There is a way to join tracks together in iTunes to avoid the gap, too.

Yeah, just select 0 seconds I think. That might work with tracks that segue but, I've had weird pops and anomalies show up after burning a cd from tracks in iTunes like that.

I use Toast for all my cd burning because iTunes is just too flaky and amateur for my needs.

Also, there ain't no reason you can't use iTunes to rip as Apple lossless, which gets you where you want to go.

There's a lot of debate about whether Apple lossless really is lossless! I'm thinking that any compressed format is compromised... but on the other hand, I'm very intrigued by Flac files.

Now, if you want to complain about how slow iTunes is, I'm with you right there.

It sure has gotten clunky and uglier with each update!

It's a double edge sword. I'm happy that Apple is doing so well with it's consumer products, I just think most of them suck (iTunes store, iPod etc.) and only use the pro level gear they make.

That's why I'm open to Windows 7, especially if I can customize the software to work the way I want it to without compromising the fidelity of the audio.

I am blessed/cursed with ears that can easily tell the difference between compressed/lossy formats and uncompressed files. Even 16 bit sounds better than any mp5/acc file that I've heard.

And now that storage space is really not such a concern, I would rather not convert cds to compressed files just to save space since sound quality is way more important to me than convenience.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa