Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
When I start archiving my lps I will post some clips of records vs. their cd versions so we can all hear what I'm talking about.

Do this. When you post them, give no indication of which is the CD rip, and which is from vinyl. Post pairs of wave (or FLAC) files, sometimes with 'A' being the CD, and other times the 'B' file. Flip a coin to pick which one gets named that way for each set.

The only problem with that Chris is that it will be obvious which is vinyl and which is cd! You, of all people should know that!

Or are you just pulling my leg? grin

I'm not trying to do a double blind test and fool anyone... shocked

But I do think the difference will be in the quality and listen-ability of music that was originally released on vinyl vs. the re-released cd version. So this "demonstration" would be basically for older music recorded, mixed and mastered on analog tape.

Newer releases are generally done on a DAW and are digital from the beginning. So even if it's released on vinyl, most current music hits the digital world at some point earlier in the process.

Exceptions are the purist, niche labels/artists that will record and mix to tape, master in the analog domain and press to vinyl.

I would just like to post how much better (in sonic terms) the original vinyl sounds compared to the cd release of the same album.

btw Chris, do you know anything about the XLD software?

If so, how does it compare to EAC as far as making a quality rip? I realize that EAC uses a database to compare files with for consistency and XLD does not.

But I'm liking it for Mac so far! smile

Also found out about this. Gonna check it out. It seems intriguing...

Plex

Anyone ever tried this?

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa