Those are good questions , maybe Andrew will stop by and educate us. This is a copy/paste from the amp page.

Understanding the Equation

Although output with eight-channels driven looks small, the fact of the matter is that the power demands from surround channels in a home theater system are much smaller than the power demands of the front left, right and center speakers. As a result, the real-world experience with these amps is lots of power available for the power-hungry front section. a seven-channel amplifier used in a home theater system acts more like a five-channel amp for power-per-channel, as shown in the chart above.

I take this to mean that since the surround channels don't contain a lot of information their power demands are low . This would leave the amp capable of supplying the front 3 channels with the 500 watts specified. No sure why anyone would need that much power anyway ,especially with how efficient the Axiom speakers are. Typical listening requires often less than 1 watt/ch. The Emo amp is definitely a beast and the specs are impressive though I cant seem to find any 3rd party tests to verify its output. I love the internet, shopping from my chair smile

The XPR 5 needs a 20A dedicated circuit, class AB is not as efficient.

I am rereading the whole thread, maybe This will help, scroll about half way down.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry