Originally Posted By: Andrew
If you want to evaluate the validity of continuous amplifier power output claims, all that's required is some simple math.
In North America, with a typical 15A AC circuit at 120V, you can draw a maximum of 1800 watts. For a 20A circuit you can draw a maximum of 2400 watts. Now that's simply what you can get out of the wall, not what you can get to your speakers, because no amplifier+power supply can be 100% efficient. Class AB amplifiers with linear power supplies typically range from 50-65% and Class D amplifiers can range from 80-95%. So, for a 5-channel Class AB amplifier with 50% efficiency to continuously supply 600 watts to all channels would require 6000 watts from your household AC, not to mention having to dissipate an enormous amount of heat...

Andrew, my takeaway from this is that Emotiva's claims are baseless. Something else that came to mind for me is the fact that , typically one room is on a single breaker. So not only am I feeding my amp , I am powering a 60" plasma , my receiver , my dvr or bluray player etc which doesn't even allow my amp access to that 1800 watts. I have a killawatt meter and my tv takes 300 on its own.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry