In reply to:

ok, i'll bite. What does the "Touch Focus" button do?

Bad... bad... things oldskool.

Like so many companies out there, striving to find the best innovation for the consumers' ease of use and the lust for the highest quality tweakings as possible, there are 2 right now that make me wince.
One is the YPAO feature of the new receivers.
The second feature (one that i own) is the Touch Focus button on my Toshiba rptv.

Technically it is supposed to align the guns so that all the convergence comes together nice and sharp. In reality it warps the damn guns more out of place than they were when i bought the unit. After first using this amazingly vaunted feature myself, i had to go online and find the Toshiba access codes normally used only by technicians which took some digging (many thanks to HomeTheatreSpot for the help though). Using these codes invalidates the warranty and you can seriously screw up the tv if you set something wrong. I found a great guide to doing a 56 point convergence alignment of the guns and after using the S&V disc following the convergence fix, the Toshiba was looking awesome!!
Then my brother in law came along to watch our dogs last weekend while i was at the Axiom Factory. He was playing his PS2 and noticed some slight misalignment of green and red in one corner (i haven't retweaked the set in a couple of months now so it was probably due) and he thought the Touchfocus button would fix it.
Obviously after using the button, he realized this judgement was seriously in error.
He then proceeded to try the "reset" button also on the front of the Toshiba thinking that would set everything back to the way it was. Of course the reset button sets everything back to the way Toshiba originally gave it to me with the contrast maxed out at 100%, shaprness set to zero, every other parameter set to on or 50%, etc. etc.

Needless to say, Touchfocus is a nightmare.
I now have a 2 hour tweakfest ahead of me this weekend.
At least Toshiba was thoughtful enough to include a lockout of the front panel controls in their menu. Too bad i had not set it up before i left. I never thought there would be a reason for him to use the Touchfocus.
Darned inquisitive relatives.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."