It came straight from the Dolby "engineers" at CEDIA, and was specifically a talking point when they talked about "proper overhead speaker placement." Their demo, which you would sure think would be all about proper setup, had overhead speakers angled inward. The idea as they put it is that it creates more of a "dome" of sound, vs. a "box" with speakers pointing straight down.

Get out your time machine and meet me at CEDIA. Bring an audio recording device (cameras were only "allowed" for press, although I snuck some photos) and you can hear it and document it yourself. I documented it in my "right after CEDIA" comments in different threads here and elsewhere. I pointed out specifically that Axiom's In-Ceiling M3s don't angle like Dolby recommends.

It isn't like I am making this stuff up. shocked Keep in mind though that these things were stated at CEDIA a few days before anything was written up for their website downloads or datasheets. They already were backpedaling on their "8 foot - 14 foot ceiling" requirement stating that it is more about filling a sound field than being specifically in that ceiling height range. Maybe their final print says otherwise, but just like the 8ft - 14ft "requirement," if they ever revise it and remove that requirement doesn't mean that 8ft-14ft isn't ideal or what they designed for. Maybe the angled speaker piece was like that and they didn't want to alienate people who want to buy speakers that can't angle, or for people with ceilings less than 8ft or greater than 14ft.

Farewell - June 4, 2020