Well, I have my prices now and there is a good savings for me going with the MRX720 over the MRX1120.

What was suggested in one of the other forums however was looking at going with the AVR60 that comes with none of the amps (that costs about mid way between the two models above). Some suggest that a pre-amp will supposedly sound better than going with a receiver. How true is that? or is it just snobbery myth

With my current setup I effectively have enough external amps to run a 5.1 setup (that I currently have installed). Going with the money doesn't grow on trees and it would take some time to afford a reasonable 5 channel amp to bring the system up to the full atmos 11.2 (7.2.4)

Now I have seen on CAM that people are selling Anthem D2 for around $2000 and there are those who purchased the AVR50 who are rather ticked that the newer and more featured model is now listed for 1/3rd the price they paid for their unit. I guess the pre-amp is making a comeback into reasonable price range again. With the likes of Marantz AV8802 costing well over $4k, getting an Anthem pre-amp for a good thousand less than that would be a bonus.

If you had the choice between going component vs integrated receiver, what would you choose?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5