Originally Posted by Stereoguy99
So given the low end issues with them and a slightly harsh high end not in the running long term

There's nothing in the F36's spinorama measurements that stand out as causing that harshness. I see a directivity change (slope change) at the midrange/tweeter crossover range that might indicate minor midrange and lower treble issues; plus the dramatic drop off below 60 Hz that would indicate it needs a subwoofer. Overall, the F36 is probably in the top 10% of the 2022 loudspeaker market for neutral sound. But always go with your gut.

https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/speakers/Revel%20F36/Revel/index_vendor.html

You can do a lot worse. I thought the Olive score bottomed out at -1.0, but Pierre recently posted a bunch of stinkers that are around -2.4 to -6.4.

Edit: on second thoughts, that directivity change means the treble has the same slope angle, but from a different starting point. Perhaps I can see why it can be perceived as harsh. Directivity matters, otherwise we'd expect loudspeakers with the flattest listening window to always win double blind listening tests (and they don't).

Last edited by Hambrabi; 11/27/22 06:15 PM. Reason: Added second thought

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"