First of all, of all the speakers you refer to, I have only listened to the Axiom M50s. Like Right Now, I just finished listening to "Monsters Inc." for the first time on the M50s after upgrading from Axiom M3s.

My advice to you is simple-The M50s are in your price range: BUY THESE SPEAKERS!!! I bought the M50s because I moved into a larger house and had to replace my beloved M3s, that I'd had for quite a few years, and felt that they were going to be my "Speakers For Life". At any rate after lots of study I purchased Axiom M50s; the more I listen to them, the more I like them-Even Better Than My M3s!!!

My WIFE, for cryin' out loud, remarked yet again, on how much better the M50s sounded on home theater! (I know, she's my wife and her prime goal in life is to influence my thoughts on Every Subject, but this time she agrees with me!)

I realise I'm not answering any of your questions, although I asked a lot of the same questions that you are asking before I bought my first Axioms some time ago.

So, do the axiom M50s sound like the 603s? I Dunno.
I would suggest the 30 free trial, but the return shipping would be a killer if you didn't like them. Then again, if you love the 603s and they are the same price....

Just consider this an unsolisited testimonial from a happy Axiom owner who just happened to enjoy an animated movie with his family and simply had to comment on it to somebody.

Happy Hunting'
Rich.