Originally Posted By: Adrian
I haven't done any veneer work, but like others here, I've often wondered about doing the exact same thing as yourself...veneering some nice wood over vinyl. From what I researched before, I believe there are some specialty saws like this one from Lee Valley or maybe a very sharp Xacto or utility knife perhaps?

I highly recommend the 3M VHB backed veneers for the non-pro (like me). It cuts with scissors for the rough cut; the pressure sensitive adhesive is rock solid once it sets. Then use one of those cheap edge trimmers and you get good edges. Look at the 3/4 inch edge on the towers. You have three edges in the shot (against the cabinet, and two meeting on outside edge), and not much evidence it is not a solid piece of wood. I will warn you that curves on the cutting edge can be problematic, as can non-90 degree edges.

For example, the front of the subwoofer baffle is not perpendicular to the top or sides. Thus the type of trimmer I used had trouble getting a perfect edge. I was not happy with the outcome. Those other trimmer designs might work better, but I would avoid the router based designs. Too much damage potential where a razor will suffice. Can't imaging having a "little" router error on top of your EP sub. \:o

I'll try to find my source data. We had a thread on here about it, but it has been several months.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire