Alright so back to the generic woodworking thread, i've got a question, or just looking for opinions.

I did some edge banding on our bbq table two years ago. The banding has since delaminated and it needs to be redone. The problem i have is that virtually all the edge banding sold is pre-glued. The glue is a heat activated material. Since this bbq table is out on our back deck, the surface temps can easily hit 45C or more.
Hence, the edge banding glue is heating up and releasing.
It doesn't help that after a rain, water can collect on the surface and act as an additional solvent.

As such, i've been thinking about the best way to redo the banding.
Here's what i've come up with (opinions?).

• Find wood veneer edge banding that is not pre-glued.
  • Use a 'real' wood glue with better adhesion for outdoor uses (i have Titebond III).
    http://www.titebond.com/titebond_wood_glues/Ultimate_Wood_Glue.aspx
  • Finish with an oil based urethane. (The water based outdoor urethane i used original also reacts in the high heat and in presence of water and 'bonded' to some items that were sitting on top of the table like the base of a stone cutting board).

Thoughts?

One thing to note, i CANNOT find wood veneer edge banding that isn't pre-glued locally. I'm still looking to source not glued banding. I only need about 20'.
Additional thoughts?

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/25/15 05:15 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."