Get a room.

Okay, here's what's new with me.

I drove a 2004 Honda S2000. I fit just fine and it was very exhilarating. The ingress/egress was marginally easier for me than the Miata. I would have to get a very good deal on the one I drove (which is possible but unlikely) due to its relatively high mileage, absence of tonneau cover and holes in the top. I enjoyed driving it a lot, but it may be too raw of an experience for me on a daily basis. I am deeply concerned that its absolute demand to be driven at high RPM's would result in unfortunate encounters between me and the local gendarmes. Likewise, RWD isn't necessarily an asset for me given our weather - I'm not sure I should drive hard enough often enough to justify it. Still on the list.

Also drove a 2008 Civic Si coupe. It was also a complete blast to drive. Like the S2000, it doesn't really grab you until about 5500 RPM. It was comfortable and surprisingly roomy. I rather liked the ergonomics, but the sunroof is really tiny and I'm not sure I can talk myself into buying what I consider to be a relatively ugly car. OTOH, I can get one that is practically new within my budget. Even accelerating through corners, the FWD isn't off-putting. Still on the list, but emotion is fading somewhat. If I can change my thinking about how it looks and stop being seduced by convertibles, I might be done.

I like how both the Hondas use the naturally-aspirated VTEC engine. I like how they are reasonably economical and reliable.

Talked to my insurance company. They don't seem to care if I get a PRHT or soft-top Miata, which I thought was odd. All the sports cars I've been looking at are within about 5% of each other annually. They don't like insuring 350Z convertibles much. Also somewhat less keen on the Si. Overall, it looks like I don't really have to factor insurance cost into the equation.

I want to drive a RX-8. I'm a little skittish about the rotary, including the potentially SUV-like gas mileage. But those extra seats in the back would be handy, and it seems to strike a good balance between performance and manners. Wish the Honda looked like that.

Still thinking a lot about 350Z and Miata.

I'm not finding reasonably priced examples of late-model Subaru GT's. I would like to drive one of those, too.

I've virtually given up on European cars now for various reasons.

Can't find any Acura TL or Infiniti G35 with a stick. The G37 is too much money.

"Hey, let's watch the indecisive, risk-averse guy try to buy a sports car"

grin

bibere usque ad hilaritatem