I love this thread. You guys are awesome.

Scott - I'm glad to hear about your Focus. I'm eager to drive one, and most people not-related-to-Bob seem to like them. I think the RS will be too expensive and too new.

Adrian - Yeah, I still need to find the "right" Mazda 3. I haven't given up hope on that one, yet. It seems like if you get the 2.5l with a stick it would be a good match. Mazda's seem to always come in 2nd when I'm looking for a new vehicle. I don't think I can buy a GM product. Plus, I have "that friend" who invoked the Lemon Law on a Cruze. I guess the puzzle is finding a car that nobody you know has an apocalyptic story about. I guess maybe I should stop talking to people.

Bob - I'm pretty sure that Julie knows the score and is too kind to point it out. We're both politely ignoring it. I will pass along your message verbatim anyway. She'll probably just say "yes". When it comes down to it, I'd be very surprised if I committed that much money to a Kia. I am somewhat swayed by the many positive impressions here and elsewhere on Hyundai. So weird.

Mike - I think a 370Z (or variant with similar drivetrain) is a possibility, but I really do want to get something with at least a pretend back seat. Will add to the list, as I know it will be fun to drive one again. Last time, the soft top and lack of headroom in the sunroof model were deal-breakers for me, but Julie has a different set of criteria. Plus - and I know this sounds petty - I just f**king hated the door handles.

It is a fun journey. I guess we're looking for a compact sports car.

At the recent Foo Fighters show in Portland, Dave Grohl often had staff "turn up the house lights so I can see the people". During one of these chautauqua moments, he was reflecting on the long tenure of his current band and what that has done to the demographic for their shows and their target audience. So, he points at a guy close to the stage and says something to the effect of "...like that motherf**ker right there. I'll bet you own a minivan, don't you? Yeah! What kind? Honda Odyssey?! Me too! It's the best one!"

So, Michael (Homedad), Bob and Mark, you guys are like rock stars.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem