Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
RX8, torqueless down low, rotary reliability questions, terrible gas mileage.

I swear rotaries have the same problem with oft repeated misconceptions outside of their owner group as does Axiom.

Yes, the engine has very little torque off of it's 750 RPM idle. But that's because it revs to over 8 grand. It's more like you have your choice of three different engines, depending on how you shift (which is why one should always have a manual transmission mated to a rotary).

Keep it below 3500, and you've got a mild-mannered, grocery getter, that will turn out 35 MPG around town easily. You're not going to win any 1/8 mile drag races, but you'll also not sit and spin in the rain or snow (my brother test drove the last model year of Camaro--before they came back; without traction control it'd turn the tires to smoke if you did anything more than crack the throttle--unused torque is unused torque).

From 3000 to 5000, you've got a sprightly car that moves around in traffic in such a way you'll be smiling all the while you're behind the wheel. This is where I spend most of my time. Averages about 25 MPG driving like this.

Above 5000, and the engine becomes an entirely different beast. The throttle response is so crisp, that if you wiggle your little toe you'll gain or loose 5 MPH. It's hard to keep from bumping the red line (I don't like warning beep of the RX-8 as much as the buzzer of the '7) the engine revs so easily from here up. Do this all the time and you'll be looking at 15 MPG.

Reliability question? Are you still living in the '70s? My 1986 GLX coupe has over 200,000 on the clock. My '91 convertible made it to 193,000 before popping an apex seal. The RX-8 is even more refined. Also, it isn't like piston engine where if it breaks you've probably damaged it really badly. A lost apex seal will run about $1500 for a rebuild.

The reason people think the rotary gets poor fuel economy, is because Mazda lists it as a 1.3L. It should really be compared to a high-revving 2.6L V12. 4-stoke engines only move half of their displacement during one revolution. So a 2.6L V12 would have 6 combustion events, and displace 1.3L of volume for every 360 degrees of crank travel. A 2 rotor engine on the other hand will displace it's entire 1.3L and have 6 combustion events (3 faces on each of the 2 rotors) for each rev.

The characteristics of a rotary are not for everyone. But stop saying the highs will make your ears bleed, and their impedance is so low it'll blow up your amps.

Last edited by ClubNeon; 08/27/10 07:14 AM.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris