Originally Posted By: Captain4105
comment regarding the 80's vs 60's sounding better at lower volumes is the reason I traded up and went for the M80's.

And another myth is perpetuated based on a sole opinion unfounded by any blind testing but believed strongly and reported as fact because "they heard it".
At lower SPL bass often becomes anemic. The loudness button on older receivers was designed to boost bass at lower SPL such that the music would sound more full and appealing. If anything, the extra bass of the M80 could be causing a similar effect, but then more bass at low SPL isn't exactly an accurate reproduction of sound. It is just adding more bass.

I have to agree with JohnK on his comments through this thread Captain, and having heard the M80s and M60s in a switched comparison years back, you will find they sound so similar that unless you had a switched comparison, it is unlikely you will hear any actual differences that are not more based on preconceived biases already planted in your brain (like the one that they will sound better at low volumes and that they are somehow an "upgrade" to the M60s).
The differences are incredibly subtle and those that exist are for obvious reason:

1) M80s have a greater bass extension (larger speaker, bigger cabinet, more drivers)
2) the M80s play louder (larger speaker, bigger cabinet, more drivers)

If it was something forum folks learned from the Axiom Anniversary blind tests is that the differences between speakers truly is subtle and even after listening in comparisons for 5-10 minutes, the mind starts to switch around thoughts, impressions and even gets confused.
In returning the M60s and waiting to get the M80s, your audio memory of what the M60s were like has already been 'lost' or in the least, changed from actual.

I wish we had time at the Factory tour for a second round of blind tests to compare two speakers from the SAME manufacturer and lineup to demonstrate how much harder it is to discern the subtleties.
A third fun test would have been receiver vs. amp, or cable vs. cable, just for kicks.

All that being said, it is possible the Axiom speakers do not produce a sound that is your preference. If you like a richer midrange (arguably even if it not as accurate a reproduction), B&W makes speakers that i've always thought to have a more rich midrange, but there are tons of other good speaker brands out there.
Don't limit yourself to one brand but i do recommend you try to find brands that at least have credible R&D programs for making their products.
In this category, Axiom scores very high.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."