I've stopped subscribing to all the mags (and I've gotten an awful lot over the years) because I realized that I primarily read them for the reviews...yet the reviews couldn't be trusted.

My last holdout was Home Theater Magazine. An irritant that finally got to me was that every time that they review a monitor, they use a different movie, and every time they review an audio product, they use different CDs.

When there is no standard, familiar material, how can they possibly hope to do the subjective portion of a review? Even WITH familiar material, there's the problem of non-instantaneous, non-blind comparisons. But to say whether or not you found the color or black levels on a TV to be a certain way when you're basing it on a movie you've never seen????

If I reviewed music reproduction equipment by using currently-released CDs, I would think ALL the equipment sucks because the recordings do. smile

Shouldn't they at least attempt to use good-quality and often-thought reference media for their subjective tests?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::