Originally Posted By: Serenity_Now
Newf, were they refurbs from Epson?

I have heard if you ask for a replacement you may get a factory restored unit back.

I can say that the 3 units I have hands on experience with all had slight picture differences due to the 3LCD pixel alignment. It adds softness to the image and is typical of all 3LCD projectors afaik. Never had the other issues.

These differences were only really visible at 1' from the screen, and I had to point out the issue before it was even noticed. From the seating position it wasn't noticable.

Fred, if you can, I suggest buying at a brick and mortar so you can swap out to a new boxed unit in the unlikely event with whatever you buy. I will say that the 8350 was a massively successful projector and sold tons of units. Its not unreasonable that there were issues along the way in some units. Whenever I read about a user that swaps out a unit more than once (or several) my questions shift away from the units themselves. I think once you are bitten with a lemon, they all will have some imperfection that drives that user nuts.

All were brand new. If you order from Epson, and get a DOA, call them within 30days, you get a new one not a refurb. The first one I got had convergence issues so bad I could not get a sharp picture. The 2nd had half the screen red, the next, half the screen blue, the next on a dark screen huge dust blobs and blacks were washed out. Over at AVS the forums were plagued by people with similar issues.

I'm a not new to projectors. Besides home theater I see countless ones due to my job. The original release of the 8350 was a train wreck, and even their own techs informed me that they could not keep up with the replacements. Hence why I switched to the 8700.

I'm just informing. This was years ago. Hopefully they got better and ironed the wrinkles out, but I'd visit the dedicated thread if I were you.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12