Originally Posted By: fredk
I've finally got the first coat of primer on. I'm not entirely happy with how smooth the wall is, or more correctly, isn't. I struggled to get the mud spread evenly over the wall and by the time I had it sanded flat, some areas were down to the paint again. The sandpaper seems to have taken up more of the mud than paint, so there is shallow pitting.

I need to do two coats of primer because the wall is down to a darker layer of paint in some places, so I'm hoping that a light sanding of the first primer coat plus the second primer coat will smooth things out more.

Fred, do what they do in the auto finishing industry; block sand, start @ 13 min... the area. You'll need a dead flat/straight board (a hand rail works well) just under the length of your screen area and a roll of ~2" wide sand paper - at most auto body supply stores you can get PSA backed sand paper in a variety of grits. Thinner is better for the mud applications - you can get get quick setting mud, only mix what you need. Once a layer is dry you can spray a guide coat of black sandable primer - just enough to put a light mist on the area - think: one dot every 1/8-1/4". Let dry and start sanding, in an X pattern with your sand paper covered long block. As you hit the high points, you'll see white and the low areas will stay black.
Prep a new batch of mud and fill the low spots (still showing black), and repeat the guide coat long board sanding process. You will eventually end up with a dead flat, all white area. (this is why custom paint jobs are $8k plus - its all labor.

Scott

My HT