Short answer is both I don't know since I've never had a projector and as big as I can get.

The number I come up with using various calculators is in the 100" diagonal range for a 9.5' viewing distance, but plenty of people posting on avs and other places like a larger screen at that distance (up to 120").

This is one of the reasons I decided to go with a painted screen. If, after a few months, I decide that I want a larger or smaller screen, it's relatively easy to do. Once I have some experience with a projector, I can use that to accurately figure out an appropriate screen size should I move or change my setup again.

All that said, I may need to cover an area as large as 65x111.

The divider I linked to is the closest I have come to a simple solution to tastefully cover such a large area.

I could just give up and go with a tab tensioned screen, but the best price I can find from a Canadian source is $850-$900. Sure, I can find the same thing in the US a lot cheaper, but for such a large item, by the time you add in shipping, duties and brokerage fees, I would be right back at that $850+ figure.

If you take off the $100 it will cost for paint and materials for the DIY screen, that leaves $750+ in wall coverings to get up to the cost of a tab tensioned screen

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!