SutterCane, I have not heard the M50s so I cannot compare. However, I have the M22s with a sub for my HT and music needs. I love it and occasionally annoy my co-workers as I wax poetically about the beauty of Axiom speakers! I do yearn for a pair of M60s, but that is upgradeitis more than need.
If the folks at Axiom steer you towards M22s and a sub, I would follow their advice. I have yet to read someone stating that they followed Axiom's advice and were unhappy with the result.
Perhaps I have missed it, but why are you 'stuck' (from what I see) on getting the M50s? Because you had them before, they are floor standing, have a lower freq response, look better to you, or if you get the M50s you cannot get a sub? If it is a matter of sub or no sub I very much would recommend the M22s with a sub over the M50s alone. The differance for HT will be significant and noticable.
I think you solved your own dilema with "I guess I probably should just shut up and order what I had planned on ordering. It's not like I have anything to lose. If I don't like them or feel the M50's are better, I can simply just send them back and re-order what I had before".

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens