Ok, as most of you know I got my new 500 yesterday. I can't even describe the WOW effect I'm experiencing. Movies rock my world and music comes to life in new ways I've never heard before. That is the good news...

Before I tell you about the news that scares me a bit, I'll tell you a little about my current environment. I installed the rubber pads versus the spikes, didn't want one of those darn things dropping on my foot like Bridgman I don't have carpet installed yet in the basement so all my speakers are sitting on concrete. I do have some carpet remnants through in the area to make it more comfortable for now when watching movies. I plan on placing the sub in the left corner to follow what some of you described as being the best placement for starters. For now I placed it along the shorter right wall, where my 350 was sitting just to test it out.

Below is a picture when I only had the 350, this is where the 500 is currently placed.

Anyway, now for the nervous news. I'm hearing noises coming from the port below the woofer. Not sure if this is similar to what NEW2AXIOM described recently and had to get a replacement? Anyway, using the SPL meter and test tones from my Denon 2805, sitting in the prime position, I set everything to approx. 75dB's by adjusting the levels on the receiver as the pink noise cycled around the room. What is interesting, the level on the 500 had to be set to -10dB on my receiver to achieve the 75dB reading. I have the volume on the sub currently set to 9'o clock as the manual states to start, and I have the trim setting to Flat mode, as the manual explains for a larger room, and bypass on the crossover.

Anyway, I took a variety of music down tonight to test cd's. I brought The Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits, Chicago 17, and George Strait Chill of an Early Fall. These CD's have many songs with good low bass. Anyway, I started with the Doobies, and was singing my heart out, dang it sounded so good when the 500 kicked in....then I moved onto Chicago 17. I don't remember the song, but I thought I was hearing a vibration. So I turned off the main speakers and just had the sub jamming out the low freq's. There were certain low notes that when played, I would hear a vibration. When I got down on my hands and knees I could tell it was coming from the port below the woofer. It seemed when I place my fingers in the port and applied some light preasure the vibration diminished or stablilized. So then I moved on to George Straight's CD, this has lots of low bass, I experienced the same thing. There were certain low notes that gave me the same vibration.

So what do you think guys and gals? It is not as easy to hear when you have the 60's rocking along with the 500, but I'm a little concerned? Maybe I need to set a piece of scrap carpeting under the rubber feet to simulate when I get a carpet and padding? I would think the rubber feet would be enough though as some people have hardwood floors under their 500. Can having it close to the side wall make internal vibrations? I have it about 3-4" from the side wall currently. This is temporary until I get everything setup and move it to the Left side. I checked all the fasteners and they all seem snug....

Thanks, Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85