Quote:

...if the sub output is calibrated with an SPL meter (which is the case with mine), it's not that loud, even with the processor volume turned up quite a bit. Does that mean I am hearing LFEs the way the soundtrack mixer person wants me to hear it?

Yes, I believe so if your receiver is decoding and setup properly for bass management.

Quote:

It seems like most people crank up the bass higher than calibration setting to whatever sounds good to them. What do you guys do? Leave it at calibrated setting or turn it up?

I think you will find many in both camps. Mine is setup pretty much flat with the RadioShack SPL meter, but with no correction factor for the meter. It's really personal preference. You want the bass to sound powerful when called upon, but not over emphasized so that it's always overbearing. It's my opinion that it is more dynamic and engaging for a soundtrack to surprise you with the low LFE at moments in the film, not loud all the time.

You also don't want to drown out the detail your other speakers are providing with too much LFE.

Again, this is just my opnion. YMMV.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/