Todd,

I was in the same price range as you are and this is what I did. It’s almost the same as you put together but it gets you both the M80s and the EP500.

2xM80s, 1xVP150, 2xQS8s and EP500 (from factory outlet w/ht discount) $3000.10

DENON AVR-2807 (B-stock from Dakmart) $782.57 (including shipping)

Oppo DV-981 $236.95(including shipping)

Total 4019.62

I have never had a playback problem with recorded media on the Oppo. I use DVD+R DL, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD -R/RW. Be aware the 981 only has HDMI output. Any way you cut it Oppo makes great upscalling players.

Dakmart sometimes takes awhile to ship depending if they have anything in stock from Denon. The B-stock only has a 90 day vs 1 year warranty but otherwise Denon makes it like new. The Denon website has a list of authorized resellers if you choose to go this route.

The reason I suggest you get the M80 is that if you are like many of us you will always wonder if you should have. Same with the EP500. It really is a cut above the EP350. I got them even though I live in an apartment since I wanted to future proof myself for when I get a house.

When I researched getting my HT setup back in December one common theme I ran across was to get the best speakers you can afford at the time. Much more likely technology will drive you to upgrade your DVD player, receiver or display before you your speakers.

You could also get a good sub from HSU or SVS and probably save a little more money or invest it in a something like a “Buttkicker.” Some people don’t like them but since I live in a top floor apartment I love it. I can play my sub at neighbor friendly levels while still feeling the LFE. But try a sub alone first since it may be enough for you.

Have fun shopping,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1