Quote:

Obviously when listeners hear differences between their integrated receiver playing at a half watt and their more "esoteric" separates playing at the same level, we can't attribute the sonic differences to power only. It simply does not make sense from my experience. But we can't attribute them to other specifications such as distortion, channel separation, etc because the esoteric gear is not that much different than integrated gear (if there is any difference at all).

Now for those that listen at levels of 10 Watts per channel, don't buy a Denon, or an HK or a Yammi. Don't buy an Emotiva, Odyssey or even a Krell. You need to open your wallets and satisfy your thirst for decibels by purchasing the A1400. It's really as simple as that.

So it seems we have to keep searching for the technical reasons that lead to sonic differences at low power levels.

I think you're on to something Mojo. Perhaps there are more things in audio equipment design, architecture, componentry, materials, Mojo, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

If the first watt is no good who cares how many more like it an amp can produce?

I have a Kenwood KA9100 silver faced beauty of a 2 channel integrated from the golden age of solid state amps ... an amp which not only sounds great (whazzat mean?) but has 2 power meters. Driving a pair of Dahlquist DQM 905s, I rarely see more than a couple of watts output per channel, most of the time bouncing around 1/3 watt.

Yet, that amp sounds better than others I've used in the same room, with the same companion equipment playing the same material at the same volume level.

I dunno why.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.