In my home, never...In a controlled listening environment at a local dealer, about 5-6 months ago....just before he dropped the lineup as it was being outsold by other equipment.

In the original post, it was specified " sound quality only", and so it was answered. If you feel the Yamaha is a good piece, so be it. But opinions were sought, and the list was presented. Based on the criteria, opinions were provided...including yours.

You are correct regarding life cycles, in fact you may be generous. Hi Tech is very much a changing landscape. By purchasing something like the Rotel, when in 6 years (to use your timeframe) a replacement is sought, there will be a solid receiver available that can reproduce quality music.....something that can't be said of the Yamaha sadly. I am not sure any amp can smooth over poor source material, as if it is bad, even the best equipment can't change the quality of the media.

I am sure this is the type of feedback that was requested, positive and negative. I think we have provided the end user with both concrete facts, and personal opinion that they will make a solid descision.

Regards,

BBIBH