Originally Posted By: jakewash
Sorry Robb, not a very clear post was it ( I must remember not to post when discussing other matters while at work). I was refering to your statement that the Mclaren has stood up for 13 years, while the 427 Cobra has really stood the test of time at ~25 years with its own performance. The original 427 AC Cobra had the best 0-100-0 time for ~25 years right up until the early 90s when supercars were starting to be built again, of which the Mclaren was one. I consider the 427 Cobra the original super car.

Without getting too nit-picky, and since 0-100 numbers would be hard to compare given all the various conditions involved in tests like that, but I'd say the 427 would have held the record less than that, probably until the mid 80's. Off the top of my head, I'm sure a 1984 Ferrari 288GTO, 1987 Ferrari F40, and the legendary 1986 Porsche 959 would beat it. And probably a RUF Yellow Bird too, if that counts as a production car.

I'll throw my hat in with a Porsche 959 as an ultimate dream car, mainly due to its ahead of its time groundbreaking technical innovations, and the mystique of no one being able to legally own one in the US during, and long after its prouction run.

Last edited by Craig_P; 08/28/08 11:02 PM.