Quote:
No one has suggested using tin wire

Absolutely, no one suggested using tin. I raised the question in response to Warrant's detailed review of myths associated with expensive wire. I was just curious how far this goes. The spool of what I call "lamp cord" or "zip cord" that I bought at Home Depot last night for $.50/ft is, in fact, tin. I believe most cheap wire is. One side is copper plated, but both sides conduct via tin. Real copper is expensive. Is it the accepted view that "lamp cord" as used in this forum, is a reference to real copper wire? Not debating, just asking. \:\)
Lamp cord and zip cord are terms older than my experience as I have only been buying speaker wire since about '88 (and I don’t make lamps?). By then tin was taking over the bargain bins I had access to. And, dare I ask, what is the problem with tin? Not a sarcastic question, I'm really interested in this stuff and I've lost all my confidence in the myths I have bought into over the years...
By way of background, I actually began trusting the wire companies to some level based on years of setting up systems in cars, where interference and corrosion and other harsh environmental factors did make a huge difference. (I don’t want to debate that so please just ignore that invite to hijack if you think I dreamed that up.) Better cables made significant audible difference, especially in the low level lines where hiss, hum, and buzz, were common with cheap wire. Crossing power cords at 90 degrees helps, etc., etc. So believing some of the marketing hype of the wire companies was not so hard for me. This discussion has been eye opening. Thanks to all.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire