Quote:
… the real information is carried on the outside of the wire.

John, strangely, I feel better about my ignorance now. After reading way too much of that information, I can see where well intended folk such as myself can learn just enough to be dangerous and buy into some of the claims of the cable industry. It seems that a lot of what they say is 3/4 true, it just does not make a difference in the audible signal – i.e., skin effects, LIZ v. Solid v. Strands, twisted pair per frequency, etc. Very interesting stuff.
But I have a follow up: based on the fields being transmitted around the outside of the wire, how easy is it to alter a signal with a stray RF or Electromagnetic field? In short, how important is shielding and what works best - foil or non-conductive material? I’ve heard it is of no concern at the signal levels of speaker wire, but now that I know it is not a stream of electrons running through the “hose”, I'm curious if the field is any stronger on higher level (voltage or amps??) signals and thus immune from interference.

I just can’t let this thread end! \:\/

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire