Originally Posted By: pmbuko
The difference has a lot to do with the higher bandwidth digital signal. Interference, crosstalk, and signal attenuation are a big issue when running at gigabit speeds, and the higher quality Cat-6 cables contain correctly-twisted pairs of conductors and use higher-quality connectors.

On a loosely related topic, for over a year I've been annoyed with the fact that the computer I built with a gigabit NIC would not connect at Gigabit speeds to my router... Since initially screwing around with it when I built the computer (1.5 years ago), I had since given up and stopped thinking about it.

However, I upgraded my router on Cyber Monday (to wireless N) and at that point it began to annoy me again that the computer still wasn't connecting at 1 gbps. Come to find out... the whole time the cable was at fault. It was an old POS Cat5 cable... grabbed a newer Cat6 cable yesterday and voila... 1GBPS connection. I realize this is not an issue of quality, but of spec, but still... After 1.5 years... DUH!

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry