Originally Posted By: jakewash
I seem to recall it isn't the ice already floating in the water they are concerned with, I would hope as scientists they are aware of the effect of volume displacment. IIRC, it is the Antarctic ice cap and the Glaciers not in the water, this is where some scientists say the rise in sea levels will come from.

I don't think I have ever heard anything about a 60M rise in sea levels though, more like 5M, just enough to wipe out most of the coastal regions and islands we know now.

Yep.

The ice-in-the-glass observation is indeed true for north-pole ice. Arctic ice floats on top of the Arctic ocean. It could all melt and sea levels wouldn't change.

But the same doesn't hold true for Greenland and Antarctica. Both of which consist of vast ice sheets on top of land. That ice isn't floating. If all that ice were to melt, global sea levels would rise significantly. No, it wouldn't be Water World but it would certainly suck for the majority of the Earth's population that just so happens to live in coastal areas.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office