Originally Posted By: Argon
Aren't you pposed to do the floors last?

Most of the work on the first floor is finished, just need to paint the walls. My contractor suggested I painted first however to make it easier. I am really neat when I paint so just decided to do the ceiling (biggest PITA). I am glad I did because everything is caked in dust from sanding. I like my walls freshly painted :).

However the stairs still need to be refinished and of course the dormer being added, will create more dust. They just gutted the second floor yesterday so i'll try and seal up the stairs as well as I can with some plastic and tarps to try and keep as much dust out as I can.

I could have waited for the second floor to be finished before and just painted and refinished all the floors in one shot instead of doing each floor separate, but it would have set me back 2-3 months. At least this way the first floor is finished while I work on the second and hopefully be able to move in mid summer. I am hoping to finish the whole house (for the most part) by the time I school starts up in sept (I'm a HS teacher).

Last edited by mikecoscia; 04/01/10 08:59 PM.