While we're talking about time, disc load times and player responsiveness have been significant issues for Blu-ray players, especially when BD-Java is involved. The BDP-83 performs well in this regard, with good player responsiveness to remote commands and fast load times. One of several "time trials" I did during beta testing was measuring how long the player took to load the Pirates of the Carribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl Blu-ray. This is a title that was documented on AVS Forum for a number of players that I did not have available to me, so it gave me a wider sampling. Load time for the BDP-83 was under 24 seconds, while load time for my Panasonic BD30 was 53 seconds. According to AVS, the PS3 takes at least 30 seconds to load this disc, the Pioneer BDP-05 takes 80 seconds, the Samsung 1400 takes 136 seconds, and the Sony BDP300 takes 183 seconds. Newer players from all of these manufacturers have improved on load times, but even compared to the latest models from Sony, Panasonic, and others the BDP-83 should remain near the front of the pack for disc load times. There are a few areas where the BDP-83 is reportedly not as fast as the PS3, mainly relating to navigating BD-Java menus and loading BD-Live content, but otherwise the BDP-83 is at least on par with the PS3 – which puts it up among the best players on the market for speed. (I believe this was referenced during the beta stage)

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp83_review.html

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne