Originally Posted By: jakewash
I want to know how the PS3 and Oppo handle the layer break on regular DVD's? My current BDP1600 is terrible, it freezes on most DVDs. It works fine with BR's of course, no layer break. I had an old Sony DVD that did this freeze up all the time and I returned it because of it. My wife hates the new 1600. I told her I want to get the Oppo but if it has layer break issues I will get the PS3, I beleive it has no issues, at least no one appears to be complaining about it if it does. I have yet to try the recently added Xbox360 as the main DVD player.

From the same link I posted above:

Quote:

How fast are the layer changes?
On DVD, it is reported that the Avia Pro layer change stress test shows a time of 0.8 seconds. This is the worst case; real world examples should be quicker. In my own viewing I can sometimes detect a DVD layer change, but it is too quick to estimate the time.
By way of comparison, using the same test, the PS3 (V2.50 firmware) shows 1.2 seconds and the Pioneer Elite DV-59avi SD-DVD player shows 2.0 seconds

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#how-fast-are-the-layer-changes

I have never seen a layer change on any disk on any of my Oppos but then I’m not sitting there looking for them either.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1