Here are some sample load times from the beta test period for the BDP-83:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#how-fast-are-the-load-times

OTOH my experience with some disks like the re-mastered original Star Trek’s take their sweet time.

Originally Posted By: kcarlile

How about the older Oppos? I'm not jumping on the BD bandwagon just yet--I don't think they'd work all that impressively with a 27" CRT--so I was toying with the idea of a used Oppo something or other. I don't really need a changer any more, since it's all on the GASP iPods...

I have an Oppo 981HD. The load time from power up and insuring a disk to the first screen is about 20 sec, power up with disk already inside to first screen is about 15 sec and already powered on with try open to first screen with new disk is about 10 sec. seems the same for all disks. I’ve put well over 3,000 disks into mine and still haven’t broken it (it’s my burn tester I use to chapter through my DVD copies to check that they play. BTW it also plays old VCDs if you have any of those. ;\)

I think it’s the BDP-83 but it might also be the 981HD there is a slight delay on playing the first track of an some audio CD or maybe SACDs. It truncates the first few notes of the first track unless. You have to hit the chapter back button to hear those restart from the beginning (I think it’s the BDP-83 that does this but shows you how much I notice I can’t remember).

The 981HD was the early player optimized for video playback while one of the other players (I don’t remember which) was optimized for audio playback. Not sure if there was really a big difference.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1