Ichy: A late 2 cents.

I am asked to fix that sort of thing from time to time--not with vinyl on furniture, of course, but with veneer over PCB (particleboard) or MDF.

If it was moisture, it was exposed for a very long time. If it was water, a half-hour could do that.
It's one or the other for sure.

If I weren't so lazy, I would post pics of some of the materials after the flood in my woodshop. Only cut-offs were not scooped up immediately and left to die.

If I showed you pics of MDF ruined by water, you'd see that it does expand. I've had 1" MDF grow to almost 1.5" when soaked. When it dries out completely, it does not shrink back to it original size. It hardly shrinks back at all.

Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes not at all. PCB instead of MDF is a guarantee of the dust bin.
There's a chance with MDF.

Your damage (from what I can see on the pics) can be repaired by a decent furniture repair shop.

If you want to know how, PM me, 'cause it requires a number of steps and is too boring to read here.

(I know. I know.)
"Jeez, that never stopped him before."

Last edited by BobKay; 05/29/11 03:54 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.