I have an SVS sub right now in my current family room that is turned off most of the time. TV just doesn't seem to play well with a sub capable of low extension. Dancing with the Stars is probably the worst offender, though we haven't watched that show for years.

So that's why I'm ok leaving out a sub. But I do want to have enough bass to make music sound good, and to give action scenes some punch. I don't need to feel it in my chest, but I'd like to be able to hear it. My setup now with m60s providing the bass is quite good, though it is in a much smaller room of about 16x20 that opens to the kitchen from an 8 foot wide opening.

I'll use this system way more than I will ever use a theater. I spend the vast majority of my time in my family room enjoying music, TV, and movies while caring for my 5 month old twins. So this project comes first.

Also, this project is not to get better sound in the family room, since some nice bookshelves, a center, and a sub would sound fine and work within the cabinet, it's to replace that tiny TV. It's a huge bummer they built such a nice media center and only built it for a 40 inch TV for a room that sits 16 feet away. What a waste. But at least I'm not having to put the TV above a worthless fireplace...