Originally Posted By: autoboy
[quote=CatBrat]

Will it look ok to leave it blank? This would allow me to upgrade the TV in the future to an 80 inch OLED when they are available. Any ideas for a wide TV stand that can hold a 160 or 180?

I think your asking the wrong group of people... I would be ok with it being a black background, with some open concept shelves for components, and then the TV/speakers... But, you'r asking a group of guys "will it look ok" in regards to HT/Stereo stuff... depending on how accepting your wife is, this is a VERY subjective question .... if your wife is like Amie (Ian's wife) who is very accepting of random stereo stuff showing up at her home, with the only stipulation being that said stereo stuff is in a color that matches her decore ... Then you should be good to go..

I think the majority of the group here, would be ok with exposed framing, if it meant that they had an 80" OLED tv in their future.....

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/
This company makes VERY good quality items. I have some of their stuff. You pay for it, but in my opinion it is well worth the money. Depending on what rute you decide to go, you could blow out that wall, paint it, or put some type of fabric or something on the recess walls, and then slide in a piece from the company above. I think that would look quite nice... maybe put a black movie theater cloth on the walls, to give you some what of a movie theater feel, the back background behind any tv would also make the tv look better i would think?

Good luck!

P.s.
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Tearing out the entire cabinet would give that wall a cleaner look. You'd still have the wood look on the remaining wall. One problem I can foresee is what to do about the floor where cabinet used to be. The best looking solution would be to find a way to extend the existing floor into that space. You might have to make a seam going across the floor there to accomplish that. You'd want it as flat as possible in order to mount some floor standing speakers in the future, maybe.

He could make a small landing maybe 4"-6" or so, like they do in HT rooms. That would be as simple as some 2X4's some ply wood and a bit of carpet.. Depending on how elaborate one wanted to get.

Last edited by dakkon; 03/05/12 06:04 PM.