Quote:
Maybe the best way to make this work is to build the base of a cabinet that mimics the bar and fills the floor space. That would leave room for a TV on a stand and some bookshelf speakers beside the TV.

I really think this is the way to go. Basically, mirror what you have at the bar (a counter-height built-in all the way across the width of the existing opening/casework). Don't get a separate stand for the TV; make the "counter" deep enough for it to sit on. In the middle of that counter-top, depth isn't going to be an issue; you can have it stepped-out to get whatever you need while still keeping the ends of the counter-top flush with the sheetrock.

I'd do an in-cabinet VP160 (or VP180) right under the TV. Then, get some M22's to sit on the countertop.

I think - even if you had the depth for them - sitting floorstanders on the counter-top will look decidedly weird. Just too imposing. The way to overcome that perception is to have them be in-cabinet models that are part of the larger whole installation. Since this is "the main room" and you have WAF to deal with, a pair of M22's and a sub might be a better (and much cheaper) alternative to floorstanders and lots of custom casework. Get them in real wood to match the rest of the installation.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 03/05/12 08:06 PM. Reason: unorganized mind

bibere usque ad hilaritatem