Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Peter, on a very basic level, a sport that relies on the precise synchronization of eight people, is far more difficult than the independent performance of one.

Cam, remember that this is just your opinion. I'm just saying I disagree. I've rowed before. It is a difficult sport, but with training that synchronization becomes second-nature. Rhythm is not crazy hard to attain. As with all sports, the difficult part is the training: the grueling schedule to push the endurance and strength of the human body further, the personal sacrifices made to dedicate a significant portion of your life to the possible attainment of fleeting glory. This experience is not unique to rowing.

But seeing as you brought it up, try "catching a crab" while rowing. That's when one of your oars catches the water whilst in your backstroke, thus swinging back and hitting in the chest or face (the force usually knocks you out of the boat).

Been there, done that. smile But I blamed it on my boatmates who couldn't set the boat worth a damn. (Did I mention the rowing I've done was for a team building exercise?)

Of the summer sports, I also played football, judo, mountain biking, badminton, baseball and lacrosse (the latter two are no longer in the Olympics). No bias, just informed.

Naturally, you're informed about your personal experiences, but it comes off as arrogant and dismissive to say that all the other olympic sports are less difficult than rowing. Can you not see that?