Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
The chances of a catastrophic failure at the highest level of competition seems much more likely in gymnastics than in any other sport. I mean, there is "faster and slower", but when gymnasts don't perform to their peak, they fall on their faces. Much smaller margin of error between excellence, competence and failure.

Tom, I'm in full agreement with you. The margin of error is minute in gymnastics, but in rowing it's minute, too. Literally all it takes is for one of the eight rowers to shift his/her balance by looking to the side, and it sets the whole boat off. I also think the margin of error is just as small in kayaking, and most, if not all of the "inner grounds" track events like pole vault, javelin etc.

Honestly, rowing is a sport that doesn't get it's due because it's just.....rowing a boat. It was the least appreciated sport in highschool. Students would tease me for being on the team because they didn't think it was challenging. People just don't know how demanding it is because the technical aspects of it aren't in the forefront like they are with gymnastics and other sports. I guarantee that the moment anyone first sat in a single skulls boat you'll tip over into the drink.

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Question - is their another Olympic sport that consistently uses every muscle in your body?

Off the top of my head:

Water Polo
Swimming
Judo
Wrestling
Gymnastics
Kayaking
Pole Vault
High Jump
Long Jump
Triple Jump
Javelin
Discus
Hammer Toss
Shot Put
Hurdles
Volleyball
Basketball
Weightlifting

Rowing is a great and physically grueling sport -- don't get me wrong -- but your extraordinary claim that it is "easily the most difficult sport in the Olympics" requires extraordinary support.

My "extraordinary" opinion doesn't require any support, and neither does BJ1's opinion that gymnastics is the most difficult sport. Notice that I didn't tell him he's wrong, nor did I criticize his belief.

I appreciate all sports and the athletes amazing achievements, but that list just isn't factual. All sports require the use of various muscles at varying times, but very few (BJ1 said swimming, and I could see that being the case with the breaststroke for sure) sports in the Olympics (and in general) demand the entire body for the entirety of the game/event.

Interestingly enough, a lot of sports implement the rowing erg into their training regiment because it's a very tough, rewarding full body workout.

That's my opinion.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.