Well, this is as good a thread to bump as any, I guess.

Those of you following my saga know that I recently got a projector (yay!) which precludes replacing my receiver "soon" (boo!).

But I'm still not satisfied with my music consumption experience. Murph has been kind to counsel me via PM (warmest thanks, Andy), but I want to spread the frustration a bit more broadly.

You guys should know that technology has now basically passed me by. I'm not a network engineer, I'm not a programmer, and I need pretty step-by-step instructions to do much of anything. I like to learn and willing to spend time, but don't start with "sudo get". Or maybe DO.

My existing Squeezebox *almost* works. It satisfies these requirements:
-Controllable from a mobile device (Android phone and/or iPad)
-Accesses and plays FLAC and MP3 files
-Outputs digital and analog signals
-Easy to use

What it doesn't do is actually WORK consistently. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my Squeezebox and Pandora user ID's to work consistently, and either the Squeezebox or the server don't appear on the network consistently, so I'm perpetually waiting, restarting, waiting, etc. before actually hearing any songs. I'm about ready to break something.

I've tried - with mixed success - to use Apple TV. It's a good interface and a good device that is already integrated with everything else. The problem is that I OFTEN have trouble with "Home Sharing" that I can't seem to solve. The device seems to know my username and I think I have everything set up correctly on the other machine, but it just doesn't connect. Exacerbating this problem is that our HBO Now subscription is associated with my son Andy's Apple ID, not mine.

I have an old, spare laptop. I also have a really nice HTPC-form-factor Silverstone case with antique hardware in it.

I have the computer upstairs running ALL THE TIME anyway just in case either the iTunes sharing or the Squeezebox sharing decides to work that day. I might find it comforting to just move that whole operation to the living room.

How are you guys listening to music?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem